Monday, 15 October 2012

Welcome!


Hello to readers from near and far!
This project strives to relate a story, from the past, to those in the present as if it were the past.  Starting a week from this evening on October 23rd, 2012 I will be live-tweeting the events that took place in and around Springhill, Nova Scotia beginning on October 23rd, 1958 at 8:06pm AST. 
Time is an interesting concept that, when combined with creativity and the wonders of social media, can be played with and tweeked.  This project aims to play with time for just a week and a half, and only by about 54 years.  If you were alive in October 1958 you will be able to relive the events of October 23 – November 2, 1958.  If you were not alive you will be able to live the events of October 23 – November 2, 1958.  My hope in presenting the story of the mining disaster at Springhill, Nova Scotia is that for those of you, like myself, who were not alive in 1958, that together, through social media we can live this event for the first time.
I challenge you to open up your minds to the possibilities of social media and where it can take us.  Together, from all corners of Canada, or even the world, we can travel back in time and come out the other side not removed from our daily context or duties.
From October 22 through November 2 I will be posting to this blog on a daily basis.  The blog will not carry the tweets of the day so I encourage you to also visit Twitter and follow @HistoryTweetsEh to read up on the event and live it with me.  I invite your comments, your constructive criticism and your questions and will endeavor to reply, take with head held high and answer quickly.
I also invite you to spread the word because history is a story for everyone and I hope that no matter your background or specific interests, you will find something for you in this blog and or in the tweets.
All the best, 
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment